Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Is Over-The-Counter Birth Control in Our Future?

I recently heard about how some Republicans are trying to make nice with lady voters by claiming they support the availability of over-the-counter birth control. This also looks like a way to separate the controversy of birth control from insurance companies and employers, leaving the burden of cost entirely to the consumer. I'm not sure that I disagree with that.

Those of you who know me know that I am Catholic and do not use birth control for a multitude of reasons, which I won't wax eloquent upon in this post - well, I'll make an effort. I also pay out of pocket for a lot of my health expenses, like midwifery care, prenatal massage, and costs associated with using Natural Family Planning. I do not expect anyone to pick up my tab, though it would be pretty nice if they did ;)

Here are some thoughts and questions that popped into my head after hearing the over-the-counter birth control story on NPR:

1. Hormonal contraception is different from other over-the-counter drugs.

The mechanism of action of most pills, patches, and vaginal rings is to suppress the function of the reproductive system by introducing synthetic versions of the hormones estrogen and progestin in high levels, thereby tricking the body into believing it is pregnant and suppressing further ovulation. Most of the time. The secondary action is to thin the lining of the uterine wall, making it unlikely a fertilized egg (a unique human person) could implant even if conception occurred. This sounds a little more serious than getting Sudafed, yes? We are talking about altering the function of an entire bodily system, and as much as I am into minimal government and medical intervention in my life, I think a little counseling before acquiring access to this stuff might be a good idea. I mean, I can't even get new contact lenses until I've seen my eye doctor (and let me tell you, I think that is a conspiracy to squeeze out a copay).

2. In what way(s) would access be regulated?

Would it be regulated at all? Many feminists see any type of restriction or rule regarding birth control as warfare on women and a violation of privacy, so perhaps they would be indignant if they had to show an I.D. to purchase the pill. But why restrict the age of the buyer? After all, the pill is touted as being "medicinal" for real and imagined reasons, so why shouldn't a twelve year old girl be able to pick up her supply without mom in tow?

I know for a FACT that my 16 year old self would have jumped on the opportunity to purchase the pill without my parents' or doctors' knowledge. I also know that this path would have tempted me to make an impulsive decision without reading too much about the mechanism of action or side effects.  Maybe that's just me.

What about drug interactions? We know that hormonal contraception can interact with other drugs (see the list associated with Nuvaring here), and lessen their effectiveness among other things, but who is going to help guide these women through the myriad consequences of ingesting these hormones? As independent as I am, I think I might want some professional guidance with this stuff.

3. What other drugs might we see OTC as a result of this [hypothetical] decision?

The first thing I would demand is to be able to PLEASE replenish my stock of contact lenses without seeing the eye doctor every year, because the $70+ visit to Costco, plus $150+ in contact lenses never happens at a good time for me financially. Just let me get them online without a new prescription. I can see just fiiiiine.

Seriously, though - are we going to see Zoloft next to the Motrin, or Adderall alongside Tylenol Cold? This ain't candy, people! It is medicine that is used to help fix or heal a system that isn't functioning properly.

Oh wait, birth control doesn't fix something that's broken........





No comments:

Post a Comment